Penetanguishene Heritage Logo
EN|FR
Penetanguishene Heritage Logo

Welcome

Heritage Penetanguishene invites you to trace the steps taken by French explorers, Samuel de Champlain and Etienne Brule, in the early 17th century. One of the oldest settlements in Ontario, Penetanguishene is a diverse cultural community, rich in history. The statues of the Angels at the entrance to Town symbolize the friendship and co-operation that has existed, between the two cultures for many centuries. Above all, enjoy the natural beauty of Penetanguishene.

Scroll Down

The Penetanguishene Angels

Portals to Huronia | Designated in 1985

Declared as the “Portals to Huronia “ in the 1921 Tercentenary celebrations, the Angels mark both the entrance to our Town and a welcome to all visitors. They were erected through the effor...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1921

Fire Hall & Council Chambers

Ontario Heritage Property | Designated in 1987

10 Robert Street West is the original site of the Town Fire Department and Council Chambers. The building is constructed with a limestone foundation and red brick exterior. Three arched windows ...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1891

St. Anns Church

Cultural Heritage Value and Interest | Designated in 1981

This Church, originally dedicated to the Canadian Martyrs, was built between 1885 and 1900. Father Theophile Laboureau sought contributions from both sides of the Atlantic to build this Memorial...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1886

W.R. Benson House

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1990

Built in 1905 by local carpenter, George Pelletier, this home was purchased in 1919 by William R. Benson, manager of the Firstbrook Box Co., who occupied it until the 1950’s. The elaborately dec...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1905

J.T. Payette House

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1983

This classically styled house was built around 1900 for J.T. Payette, owner of a thriving local foundry and Mayor from 1921 to 1924. “J.T.” was also the enthusiastic sponsor of an annual horse r...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1918

A.A. Thompson House

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1981

This house is a classic example of the Georgian style popular in the mid-nineteenth century. The style stressed symmetry and this home lives up to this definition. It is said that the orderly pa...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1859

George Gordon House

Cultural Heritage Value and Interest | Designated in 2011

This plain building at 12 Water Street conceals the original logs of what is believed to be the first log house built in the Town. Stucco covers the one and a half storey cedar log house built b...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1828

The Green Block

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1990

This structure was erected by Alfred A. Thompson in 1840 and has continuously served the community as a mercantile building for nearly 160 years. It was the base of A.A. Thompson’s extensive fur...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1840

Penetanguishene Centennial Museum and Archives

Cultural Heritage Value and Interest | Designated in 1981

Located on Burke Street at the intersection with Beck Boulevard, this structure was built in 1875 by Carl Beck. Its original function was a general company store for the workers in Beck’s nearby...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1875

Carl Beck House

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1982

This elegant Queen Anne Revival design residence is the only house in Penetanguishene with a slate roof. It was built by Carl Beck, the wealthiest of the local lumber magnates, in the late ninet...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1885

St James On The Lines

Garrison Church | Designated in 1981

This Anglican Church was constructed on the “lines of communication” between the Town and the Establishments in 1836, the intention being to serve as a garrison church and also for the growing c...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1836

Beck Monument

First Presbyterian Church | Designated in 1982

Occupying a prominent place in the centre of First Presbyterian Cemetery, stands the Beck Family Mausoleum. It was constructed in 1910 by the original Beck family for themselves and their immedi...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1910

The White Gothic Revival House

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1982

This outstanding example of Carpenter’s Gothic was built in 1878 and represents the caliber of home which was being built in the Town in those days. It is of similar style to the Gothic Revival ...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1878

The Gendron Block

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1982

This structure was built in the Second Empire style which was so popular between 1860 and 1880. Gendron shoepacks were manufactured upstairs in the early part of the last century. These hand-s...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1835

McGibbon Lumber House

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1981

32 Water Street was built circa 1878 and originally occupied by a local merchant named Mr. Dodge. Dodge carried on his grocery business there under the name of “Charlewood Grocery”. In 1882, Mr....

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1878

Dault Block

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 2002

The property was originally owned by Alfred Sneath in 1876 and sold to Donald Dault in 1901. The building was constructed in the era of 1885 -1894 and is a good example of a turn of the century,...

More Details

Constructed in

5555
1876

The Water Fountain

Robert Street West, Penatenguishine Ontario , L9M 1P8 Canada

This unique water fountain refreshes all thirsty travelers at the main intersection of Town. The large trough was for the horses, behind this was the source for their riders and a small trough b...

More Details

© Penetanguishene Heritage | Website by mediasuite.ca

Loading Icon