Penetanguishene Heritage Logo
EN|FR

The Green Block

Architectural and Historical Value | Designated in 1990

This structure was erected by Alfred A. Thompson in 1840 and has continuously served the community as a mercantile building for nearly 160 years. It was the base of A.A. Thompsonís extensive fur trading operation with annual auctions attracting buyers from as far afield as Australia, New York, London and Berlin. When money was short in the mid- nineteenth century, it was one of the few placed where farmers could get cash for their produce. (Pictured in its original state)

Constructed in 1840


1 Water Street, Penetanguishene Ontario, L9M 1V5 Canada

(705) 549-9554



Documents

© Penetanguishene Heritage | Website by mediasuite.ca

Loading Icon